Hawai‘i Hilo edges Grand Canyon, Dixie State for PacWest title
ST. GEORGE, UT – Hawai‘i Hilo nipped Grand Canyon and Dixie State to capture the 2011 Hawaiian Airlines Pacific West Conference Championship in St. George, UT.
The Vulcans posted a three-round team score of 880 to win their second title in four years after capturing the league crown in 2008. Grand Canyon finished second with an 881, while Dixie State wound up third with an 882.
The 54-hole PacWest Championship was held April 18-19 at the Sunbrook Golf Club on its Par 72, 6875-yard course. The nine conference teams completed 36 holes on Monday and finished the tourney with 18 on Tuesday morning.
Hawaii Hilo’s Blake Snyder fired a three-under-par 213 to win the individual title, while BYU-Hawaii’s John Scholari recorded a 216 to break even and finish second.
Snyder and Matt Pridey of Grand Canyon were named Co-Players of the Year, while Snyder also earned Freshman of the Year accolades. GCU’s Jacob Golembiewski earned PacWest Newcomer of the Year honors.
Coach of the Year accolades went to Dixie State’s Reed McArthur.
The PacWest All-Conference Team consists of the Top 14 finishers at the PacWest Championship. The Top 7 are First Team, while 8-14 are considered Second Team.
All-PacWest Second Team
- 14th - Skylar Schone (BYUH) – 225
- 13th - Neil Cabico (UHH) – 224
- 12th – Ale Radice-Fossati (HPU) – 223
- 10th (T) – Ryan Sheffer (NDNU) – 222
- 10th (T) – Chad Crowther (Dixie) – 222
- 9th – Troy Davis (NDNU) – 221
All-PacWest First Team
- 7th (T) – Travis Russell (UHH) – 220
- 7th (T) – Jacob Golembiewski (GCU) – 220
- 6th – Mark Geddes (GCU) – 219
- 4th (T) – Matt Pridey (GCU) – 218
- 4th (T) - Kyle Chappell (Dixie) - 218
- 3rd – Nick Drost (Dixie) – 217
- 2nd – John Scholari (BYUH) – 216
- 1st - Blake Snyder (UHH) – 213