Art U picked to repeat; Azusa Pacific’s Hardeman named Preseason Player of Year
PHOENIX – Reigning PacWest Champion Academy of Art has been selected to repeat as the top team in the conference and Azusa Pacific's Kelly Hardeman has been tabbed the Preseason Player of the Year in a vote by the women's basketball coaches of the Pacific West Conference.
The PacWest released the 2013-14 Preseason All-PacWest Team and the Predicted Order of Finish on Thursday, Nov. 7, as the upcoming PacWest women's basketball season is about to commence.
Hardeman was one of seven players representing six different schools named to the PacWest Preseason All-Conference Team. Art U was the lone school to have more than one selection with Regina Camera and Sha'Nice Storey joining the squad.
2013-14 - Preseason All-PacWest Team
- Kelly Hardeman – Azusa Pacific (Preseason Player of the Year)
- Regina Camera – Academy of Art
- Callie Rhoads – Point Loma
- Skye Savini - Hawai'i Pacific
- Sha'Nice Storey – Academy of Art
- Brydgette Tatupo-Leopoldo – BYU-Hawaii
- Keairra White – Fresno Pacific
But the wide-open field features four different teams claiming first-place votes. Azusa Pacific finished second in the preseason poll with 145 points and three first-place votes, while California Baptist was third with 140 points a pair of first-place nods. Hawai'i Pacific totaled 139 points and also received a pair of first place votes in the poll.
2013-14 Preseason Women's Poll – Points (1st Place Votes)
1. Academy of Art – 159 (6)
2. Azusa Pacific – 145 (3)
3. California Baptist – 140 (2)
4. Hawai'i Pacific – 139 (2)
5. Dixie State – 117
6. Point Loma – 112
7. Hawai'i Hilo – 94
8. Holy Names - 60
9. BYU-Hawaii & Notre Dame de Namur – 54
11. Fresno Pacific – 52
12. Dominican – 39
13. Chaminade – 18